Since 1980, Artsplosure has promoted local, regional and national artists, celebrated the performing and visual arts, and brought the Raleigh community together. This year will be no different, with plenty of musical performances, vendors, student art exhibitions and kid-friendly activities.
Here are some highlights you should definitely check out!
- Jeanne Jolly: Moore Square NC Stage, Saturday, May 18, 5-6 p.m. – a local singer/songwriter and guitarist who can sing everything from jazz to pop to Americana.
- Quinn Sullivan: Moore Square Main Stage, Saturday, May 18, 4-5 p.m. – a 14-year-old guitarist who has appeared on TV and shared the stage with Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang and BB King.
- BoDeans: Moore Square Main Stage, Saturday, May 18, 8-9:30 p.m. – an All-American band blending together blues, rock, country and soul.
- Wailers: Moore Square Main Stage, Sunday, May 19, 5:30-6:30 p.m. – even after Bob Marley, the band still churns out soulful rhythms and reggae sounds.
- Artsplosure 2012 Squonk Opera's GO Roadshow: City Plaza, various times Friday-Sunday – music and art combine in this 45-minute circus performance for the whole family.
- Sandy Feat – Ed Moore will transform a pile of sand into an incredible work of art.
- The Raleigh Street Piano Project – six re-purposed and decorated pianos will be places around downtown for guests to play some music of their own.
There are many more events happening during Artsplosure; you can look at the full schedule on their website. Of course, the festival is free and open to the public.
If you're interested in doing some shopping, there are over 170 vendors and juried artists participating in the Artsplosure Art Market. Take a peek online ahead of time to see works available for purchase in a variety of mediums.