A new TV ad from the National Republican Senatorial Committee claims that Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Cheri Beasley, a former chief justice of the state Supreme Court, "vacated" a man's death sentence and "threw out" an indictment in a child assault case.
Amid public concerns about high inflation rates, President Joe Biden sought to reassure Americans that his administration had a handle on the economy by saying the federal government was poised to pay down a portion of the $23.8 trillion federal debt for the first time in several years. PolitiFact checks his claim.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the Biden administration is choosing to send baby formula to the border as one of its "out-of-touch priorities." PolitiFact checks that claim.
The day after the leak of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito's draft opinion reversing Roe v. Wade, the National Republican Senatorial Committee sent lawmakers and candidates suggested talking points on abortion. PolitiFact checks the claim that doctors don't want to throw doctors in jail.
A mailer produced by the N.C. Futures Action Fund, a liberal group, accuses state Sen. Kirk deViere (D-Cumberland) of voting against Medicaid expansion, the governor's budget and teacher raises. PolitiFact North Carolina checks the claim.
- Fact check: Did Trump Supreme Court picks agree Roe v. Wade is 'established precedent'
- Fact check: Hannity says Elon Musk bid exposed Twitter 'shadow ban'
- Fact check: How does new Florida law affect Disney's tax status?
- Fact check: Did border patrol seize enough fentanyl to kill every American 7 times?
- Fact check: Ad says McCrory appointees 'mandated' textbooks pushing critical race theory
- View More »
Politifact looks into President Trump's claim COVID cases falling across U.S.
WRAL partners with PolitiFact NC to fact check political stories
Suggest a fact check: What political statements do you want the Politifact NC team to check?
How we determine Truth-O-Meter ratings
How we choose claims to fact-check
Our on-the-record sourcing
Our ethics policy for PolitiFact journalists
Facebook adds more protection against fake news
Previous WRAL fact checks
- Leaked Roe v. Wade draft opinion puts future of birth control, some fertility treatments in question
- As high court mulls Roe v. Wade, Democrats and Republicans sharpen focus on legislative races
- U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn responds to lingerie photos
- Business, fish advocates at odds over NC's strict limits on silver in wastewater
- Political ads are allowed to mislead you and are often designed to do so
- Who's running for US Senate, new Congressional district in North Carolina? Candidate filing period ends
- View More »
- Trump rebuked with stinging losses in Georgia GOP contests
- Montana bars birth certificate changes, even with surgery
- Courts stymie abortion bans in Iowa, other GOP-led states
- Biden risks troubled Americas summit in Los Angeles
- Pa. Senate GOP primary too close to call, recount likely
- Ginni Thomas' emails deepen her involvement in 2020 election
- View More »
Published: 2019-11-15 13:20:00
Updated: 2020-05-11 12:59:11