WRAL Investigates

Raleigh mayor says he'll follow up on internal police probe

Posted May 9, 2011 5:29 p.m. EDT
Updated May 9, 2011 6:34 p.m. EDT

— Raleigh's mayor said Monday that he plans to follow up on an internal investigation into officer misconduct within the Raleigh Police Department after an officer at the center of the probe says he hasn't heard from investigators in more than three months.

Police Chief Harry Dolan confirmed in February that the department's Internal Affairs Unit was nearing completion on a a comprehensive investigation into a 2009 police officer complaint that, sources said, had to do with officers having sex with a prostitute.

At least one officer resigned, and, sources say, three others from the department’s Southeast District Substation, including Sgt. Rick Armstrong, were placed on paid administrative leave.

Armstrong, who is the president of the Raleigh Police Protective Association, a professional association that represents the interests of police officers, said Monday that he is still on administrative leave and that he hasn't heard from anyone since he was notified about the investigation and was put on leave.

He said the allegation against him is false.

"While the salaries are a factor, the main thing is these officers shouldn't have to live under a cloud like this," Meeker said. "Either they should be exonerated or, if not, (be allowed to) move on with their lives, and that's the reason the investigation should be brought to an end."

Raleigh police did not have a comment on the case, but in a statement in February, Dolan said the investigation found "possible administrative violations" stemming from "a small number of officers and non-departmental individuals." Appropriate decisions would be made based on the investigation's findings, he said.

"This investigation has been going on too long. I think there has been an effort to try and find wrongdoing by Rick Armstrong," said Chip Roth, a spokesman for Teamster Local 391 and the assigned representative for Raleigh police. "The fact that it has been going on for 13 weeks indicates to me that they simply haven't been able to find that."