Local News

Durham grandmother one of three women shot in 13 hours in the city

A 72-year-old Durham grandmother is recovering in the hospital after being shot Sunday afternoon.

Posted Updated

Lora Lavigne
, WRAL Durham reporter
DURHAM, N.C. — A 72-year-old Durham grandmother is recovering in the hospital after being shot Sunday afternoon.

She was the third woman shot in two incidents in just 13 hours in the city.

Louvenia Alston was found lying in the driveway after a bullet hit her thigh. Her daughters said it was just a typical Sunday afternoon, with a house full of family when suddenly they heard what sounded like fireworks going off.

“It was just real scary to know that it was that close to home," said Rodney Carolina, Alston’s son-in-law.

Just inches away from where the family was gathered, bullet holes are visible in the window of the home.

“After that I just heard a lot of commotion from family members saying ‘Get down! They’re shooting, they’re shooting,’" Carolina said.

As he tried to shield his sons, he said he pulled back the curtains to see what was going on. He saw multiple vehicles passing by and guns firing countless times.

“If you’ve ever seen a war movie or a war story and you just hear rapid fire, that’s exactly how it was," he said. He then saw that his mother-in-law was hit in the leg.

"When everybody came out she was laying in between my vehicle and my daughter’s vehicle laying on the ground,” he said.

Neighbors said they too were dodging bullets. “I opened the bathroom door. I see family running down the halls so I get all of them down," said Keyshawn Cozart.

He said he counted up to 20 shots then later found a bullet hole in his car after noticing fluid leaking from under the hood.

It was the second shooting incident of the day in Durham Sunday. Police responded to another shooting earlier in the area of Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd and Tower Blvd that injured two women.

“Imagine if it was your family. Take a look, step back and imagine if it happened to you," Carolina said.

Police say Alston was not a target. Her family says she’s still in the hospital, but is expected to be okay. Both incidents are under investigation.

Related Topics

Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.