Local News

Three others charged in Raleigh bus stop robbery

Posted January 30, 2015
Updated February 2, 2015

— Raleigh police have arrested three additional people in the robberies of twin sisters at a Raleigh bus stop on Wednesday.

Jontel Dominique McNeill, 21, Chigoze Vivian Onyebuchi, 19, and Indago Laron Norwood, 18, were charged Friday with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon. They were being held in the Wake County Detention Center.

Another teen, Jade Paulina Brown, 16, was previously arrested on the same charges in the case.

The twin sisters, age 15, reported they had just gotten off a school bus at the intersection of Hardimont Road and Sarah Lawrence Court around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when three girls around their age approached them after getting out of a small dark car and robbed them of one of their cellphones.

An arrest warrant for Brown alleges that someone used a stun gun on one of the sisters and that another pointed a gun at her before "the victims were ordered to 'give what you got.'"

Brown was in court earlier Friday. A district court judge refused to lower her $75,000 bond, saying she could face more charges.

"Jade's a nice girl, a sweet girl," her mother, Mansah Thompson, said following her daughter's first court appearance. "I don't know what happened – maybe the wrong crowd, but my daughter is a nice girl."

According to court records, police arrested Brown Jan. 7 at Knightdale High School on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct, resisting an officer and having a weapon on school grounds.

A warrant in that case accuses the teen of pulling away from a police officer during an argument in the school cafeteria and having a box cutter and small can of pepper spray. Brown is expected back in court Monday on the misdemeanor charges. Norwood will appear in court on Feb. 19.

Henry DeHart knows the twins and said the girls ran to his house after the robbery because they weren't sure whether their parents were home.

"I was just glad that my wife was here and could help," he said.

DeHart said his wife called police as the girls, who were frantic, told her what happened.

"I think the whole situation is unfortunate," he said. "I hate it for our neighbors and what they had to go through."


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all