Local News

Rental units sought for Chapel Hill flood victims

Posted July 5, 2013
Updated July 6, 2013

— Orange County authorities are asking for the public’s help to find rental property for residents displaced by flooding.

The Department of Housing, Human Rights and Community Development is looking for property managers, apartment communities or homeowners who have vacant units for rent in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area. The area was inundated with 4.66 inches of rain that fell Sunday and Monday, flooding nearly 150 town houses and apartments in the Estes Drive area.

All properties will be listed in a referral database that will be available to caseworkers who are assisting flood victims.

Anyone with available rental property is asked to call the department at 919-245-2490.

The Triangle Chapter of the American Red Cross will continue to operate a shelter at Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill through 7 p.m. Friday. The organization will also staff an Assistance Center at University Mall on Estes Drive.

The center will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 1 to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Residents seeking assistance from the Red Cross may call 919-903-0676, 919-903-0677, 919-903-0678 and 919-903-0679.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • rachel Jul 5, 2013

    estes drive has some humble areas-which if damaged, could make it difficult for people to find new, temporary places to live that they can afford and stay in the same area.

  • beaupeep Jul 5, 2013

    whatelse: these are people from CH. They don't know what to do without government assistance over there.

  • whatelseisnew Jul 5, 2013

    this is odd. If I had lost my place, I would be looking for another place. It is pretty easy.

  • gingerlynn Jul 5, 2013

    You might want to have them clarify the rent range they are looking for. I am sure there are LOTS of pricey units in Chapel Hill that they don't need to waste their time looking at.