Man killed in south Durham shooting
Posted December 2, 2015
Durham, N.C. — A 29-year-old man died early Wednesday after being shot in the head at a home in southern Durham, police said.
Authorities say Shawn Cade-Oree, of Durham, was shot in the head at a home in the 2200 block of Concord Street at about midnight. Cade-Oree was rushed to the hospital, where he later died.
Police said Cade-Oree was apparently involved in a dispute before being shot.
Three people, two men and a woman, were taken into custody following the shooting, but they were later released. Nobody had been charged in the case Wednesday afternoon.
The shooting happened southwest of North Carolina Central University's campus, prompting officials to send a crime alert to students at about 3:30 a.m. Police said the shooting did not involve any NCCU students.
NCCU senior Caleb Eddleman lives near the murder scene and said he remembers another homicide that occurred last year. In that Dec. 17 incident, a 25-year-old man was shot and killed in his car at the intersection of Concord and Cecil streets.
"It doesn't really worry me because I know I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to. I'm not worried about being in danger," said Eddleman.
Other neighbors who live near the site of the shooting said that so many shots were fired, it was impossible not to hear them. Earl Williams was watching TV when the shots began.
"It was like 15 to 20, then it stopped, then off again. I ducked. Bullets don't have names," said Williams. "I didn't know anyone was killed until I saw the news this morning."
Like Eddleman, Williams said that he is not worried, despite the shooting.
"I mind my business. I don't know what that was about and really don't care. I stay in my house and hopefully they'll stay in theirs," he said.
Anyone with information about the shooting should call Durham Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.