Local News

One injured in Durham apartment fire

Posted November 17, 2013

— One person was injured when a fire ripped through a Durham apartment building early Sunday, displacing at least six residents.

The blaze started in a resident's kitchen shortly after midnight at the Foxfire Apartment Homes, at 1463 New Castle Road, authorities said.

Firefighters, however, have not said how exactly the fire started.

One person was taken to Duke University Hospital to be treated for burns, authorities said, but they have not identified the victim or said how serious the injuries were.

The apartment where the fire started suffered heavy damage.

Krisstonia Spruiell said she and her two small children were able to get out of harm's way when she awoke shortly after midnight to a neighbor knocking on her door yelling for her to get out of the building.

"My heart is beating right now, just thinking about it. It was terrifying," Spruiell said Sunday afternoon. "I opened the door, and I could see flames coming out the side of the building."

Fire officials said all those affected by the fire had some place else to stay and that the Red Cross was not needed to assist them.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all