Warrant: Police link mother to missing Durham boy's death
Posted April 5, 2011
Durham, N.C. — Police believe the mother of a missing Durham boy and a man she used to live with were "directly involved" in the slayings of the boy and a missing woman, according to a search warrant released Tuesday.
Jadon Higganbothan, 5, hasn't been seen since October, while Antoinetta Yvonne McKoy, 28, hasn't been seen since December and was reported missing by her family in Washington, D.C., in early February.
Jadon and his mother, Vania Rae Sisk, lived at 2109 Pear Tree Lane with a group of people, including McKoy and Peter Moses, police said.
Police searched the home several times in recent weeks for evidence in the case, and they also searched some nearby woods last month.
Investigators found a bullet, shell casing and evidence of human blood inside the house, according to the search warrant. They also found evidence of "overt cleaning" in part of the home.
Some of the evidence was sent to an FBI lab for analysis, the warrant states.
A confidential Durham police informant told investigators earlier that Jadon was shot in October by a member of the Black Hebrews, a religious sect that believes it descends directly from the ancient tribes of Israel. Search warrants out of Colorado state that Sisk moved to the Colorado Springs area early this year with members of the group.
The informant told police that Jadon's body was wrapped in plastic and stuffed into a suitcase, and the suitcase was disposed of a few days later, the Colorado warrants state.
The informant also told police that McKoy got into an argument with a member of the Black Hebrews in December, and she was beaten up and shot to death by members of the group. They later disposed of her body, the warrants state.
"According to numerous witnesses, police reports from this jurisdiction and elsewhere, child services records and other credible sources of information, Moses and Sisk were directly involved in the murder of a juvenile and an adult," a Durham homicide detective stated in the search warrant.
Neither Sisk nor Moses has been charged in the case. Police have issued warrants for their arrests on unrelated charges after they failed to appear in court last month.
Two other search warrants released Tuesday indicate that police have searched several online sites for evidence in the case.
According to one, investigators gained access to the MySpace pages of Sisk and Moses. Investigators sought detailed information on their accounts, including the contents of private messages sent or received since the beginning of January and any private blogs or journals.
The second search warrant shows police went through Google to access Moses' account with YouTube to see videos he had posted that investigators believe included information relevant to the case.
The YouTube account is no longer accessible, although the two MySpace pages are still active online.
Sisk told Durham police a month ago that she left Jadon with an acquaintance on Feb. 20, but police said her statements were inconsistent.