Durham, N.C. — A Durham woman, known for falsely accusing three Duke University lacrosse players of rape in 2006, has been accused of stabbing her boyfriend early Sunday.
Crystal Mangum, 32, is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. She is being held without bond.
Investigators believe that Mangum stabbed her 46-year-old boyfriend in the torso during a dispute at 3507 Century Oaks Drive around 3:15 a.m., police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said.
The boyfriend, whose name wasn't released by authorities, was taken to Duke University Hospital to be treated for serious injuries, while Mangum was arrested in a nearby apartment.
Police declined to comment further on the case.
Anthony McCullough, who lives nearby, said the victim's name is Reggie Wilson. According to McCullough, who said he's a friend of Wilson, Mangum moved in to Wilson's apartment with her children a few days after they started dating.
McCullough said Mangum stabbed Wilson several times and that he is in "bad shape."
Police arrested Mangum in February 2010 after an altercation between her and a different boyfriend. Police said that in that incident, she assaulted her 33-year-old boyfriend in front of her children and lit some of his clothes on fire.
She was charged with attempted murder and arson but found guilty last December of three counts of child abuse, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. She was sentenced to 88 days in jail, which she had already served while awaiting trial.
While a student at North Carolina Central University in March 2006, Mangum worked as a stripper and performed at a party hosted by members of the Duke lacrosse team. She claimed three white players trapped her inside a bathroom at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd. and raped and sexually assaulted her.
Mike Nifong, Durham County's district attorney at the time, had the three players indicted on rape and other charges on the basis of Mangum's allegations, but the case later began to crumble with her wavering in key details of her story.
That forced Nifong to dismiss the rape charges, and several months later, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dismissed the remaining charges, saying there was no credible evidence to support the charges.
Nifong was later disbarred for withholding DNA evidence from defense attorneys in the case.