Local News

Police: 17-year-old shot to death in Durham

Posted February 27, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Durham police officers are investigating their first homicide of the year, a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy dead Thursday night.

Alejandro Emir Denis-Terron, of Camellia Drive, was shot around 11 p.m. at a house at 119 Herbert St., according to police.

Denis-Terron was standing in the yard with a group of other men when the shooting happened, police said. Investigators said they don't know what the motive was.

Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator Soucie at 919-560-4440, ext. 274, or Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.

Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases, and callers never have to identify themselves.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • oldfirehorse Feb 27, 2009

    I like knowing where the shootings are happening in Durham. It helps me plan my route through town.

  • raysson Feb 27, 2009

    Another grim statistic of another young life taken away by gang violence in the City of Durham. Where this incident happen at Herbert Street is one of the most dangerous places in town. Question:What was this kid doing out hanging around at 11:00 at night? When this kid was shot,tell me that they were over a dozen gangbangers hanging out on that section of Herbert Street and nobody saw nothing?
    That's Durham....It's just like Compton.

  • TruthBKnown Banned Again02 Feb 27, 2009

    Don't be silly, that's just not true.

    More bad things happen in Durham. I worked in Durham for over six years. I know of a bus that was shot up in a drive-by. That just doesn't happen in Raleigh. If it did, you can be sure it would be reported.

  • iron fist Feb 27, 2009

    Anything negative that happens in Durham gets headlines. Not so with Raleigh and Cary.

  • TruthBKnown Banned Again02 Feb 27, 2009

    "They had to report it because it was in Durham. That is what WRAL does. If is happens in Durham then they have to make it a headline."

    Yeah, the fact that it was a MURDER wasn't newsworthy enough, was it? But since it's in Durham, oh yeah, NOW it is newsworthy!

    Here's clue: WRAL is not out to get Durham. Stuff happens in Durham. It gets reported. Stuff happens in Raleigh. It gets reported.

  • anonemoose Feb 27, 2009

    The last update to the story told us he was hispanic. Big Update.....Maybe we will know who he was around Easter.

  • bossman63076 Feb 27, 2009

    11:00 standing in the yard. I'm sure all homework was completed and maybe the group was talking about something really important. I think not. Article should read 17 yr old boy. Durham's fix to these problems will surely be fixed with some type of midnight basketball program.

  • FoxtrotUniformCharlieKiloakaCALM Feb 27, 2009

    i was surprised of the habitability of the house especially after looking it up on google maps...i definately would assume the neighbors (if at home) heard something considering these houses arent too far apart

  • anneonymousone Feb 27, 2009

    RossFranco, there are people in the nieghborhood who know that something happened; there must have been police cars and other investigators, and the neighbors may have heard an altercation and gunfire. Imagine what the uproar would have been if there had been no report.

    The shooting apparetnly happened at 11 PM, and it takes time to complete an initial investigation into the incident and to establish someone's identity. Young people may not always know each other's full name, and relatives need to be notified before the general public is notified.

    Please be thoughtful and kind; WRAL isn't trying to pull anything over on readers.

  • ABM Feb 27, 2009

    Carolina Girl 99

    You said it best.