Pittsboro Building Ban May Stick Around
Posted December 5, 2007
Pittsboro, N.C. — A building ban in Pittsboro may last longer than some folks expected. The ban was introduced over a year and a half ago when Pittsboro's wastewater treatment plant couldn't keep up with the growth.
The moratorium on residential subdivisions with 25 or more building lots or housing units has hurt some builders.
"It may be two years, I'm not sure what to do. I may have to just sell and quit," builder Ricky Spoon said.
Spoon has two subdivision projects in limbo because of the building ban.
"I have several million dollars invested and it's my money," he said.
The Board of Commissioners voted in October to extend the ban on new, large development for two more years.
"I'm looking at this as about a 2 1/2 year process, if all goes well," town manager Bill Terry said.
Terry said Pittsboro doesn't have the estimated $35 million to build a new wastewater treatment plant. The town has been working with developers to help pay for it, but so far – no deal.
"We're confident that we can come to some sort of agreement with the development community and create the cash flow necessary to support the project," Terry said.
Until then, development and growth will remain on hold.
"I consider Pittsboro my home. I want to see it grow and I want to see it grow in the right way," Spoon said.
A solution being considered would have developers pay impact fees up front. Spoon said he has offered $7 million upfront to help pay for the new wastewater treatment plant.