Victims' Families Hold Vigil in Durham
Posted December 7, 1997
DURHAM — Durham has experienced 32 murders this year. All the victims' were people who had families and friends who miss them very much. Sunday night, they gathered to call for an end to the pain and violence.
Hundreds of people were expected to gather for the fifth annual Vigil Against Violence. The event began in 1992. Last year, about 500 people showed up to participate. Among Sunday's participants was Rosa Walker who says she lost a cousin to murder just a few days ago, and a friend several years ago.
Walker says the group does have a plan, not just a protest.
The even kicked off at 6:30 p.m. and was expected to last about a half-hour. Planned events included a candlelight vigil and a prayer for peace.
Durham has seen a 26 percent rise in violent crime this year, and the city is fighting back. City Manager P. Lamont Ewell is offering overtime pay for officers willing to work an extra beat until vacancies on the force are filled. The city is also looking for a new police chief. Saturday, it invited public input on the five finalists for the job.