Local News

Soft Drinks Put Out Day Care Fire

Posted July 9, 1997

— Parents who take their children to a Wilson day care center will have to find somewhere else to keep their kids Thursday.

A Wednesday morning fire forced smoke into about half a dozen rooms at Wilson Christian Academy. Firefighters say a faulty refrigerator cord started the small fire, but strangely enough it was out when they arrived, thanks to a case of soft drinks.

Wilson County Fire Marshall, Gordon Deno, believes the drinks built up pressure inside and ruptured, causing liquid to fall on the fire itself.

Day care leaders had hoped to re-open Thursday morning, but now they say they will wait until Friday.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all