Former Duke Lacrosse Coach Signs Books, Reflects on Case
Posted June 21, 2007
Updated June 22, 2007
Durham, N.C. — The former coach of the Duke lacrosse team was back in Durham Thursday to sign his recently released book about the case that garnered national media attention.
Mike Pressler signed copies of his book, “It’s Not About the Truth,” at the Regulator Bookstore. It’s already a New York Times bestseller.
He also took questions, such as “What do you want to say to [former Durham District Attorney] Mike Nifong?”
“I’m not sure I’d be saying a whole lot. I’d be doing a whole lot,” Pressler laughed.
The former coach was in his 16th season at Duke when the lacrosse case broke, and he was the only Duke official to lose his job because of it. Pressler now coaches at Bryant College, a Division II school in Rhode Island.
“I’m a Yankee now, back up there in Rhode Island. They look at North Carolina as a disgrace,” he said.
Pressler said he is still deeply disappointed at Duke President Richard Brodhead and Athletic Director Joe Alleva.
He closed his book with a heartfelt letter his teenage daughter wrote to Brodhead. Pressler said Brodhead never responded until after the book had already gone to print.
“You know, it’s tough, it’s still tough,” he said. “You know, time will tell. Time will really tell how this plays out.”