Local News

Suspect Arrested In Fatal Mall Shooting

Posted February 1, 2006
Updated January 22, 2007

— The suspect in a mall double-shooting that killed a 16-year-old boy surrendered to Durham police Tuesday after they surrounded him at an apartment complex.

At about 3:30 p.m., Durham police officers surrounded Pinecrest Apartments at 608 N. Hardee St. after they received a CrimeStoppers tip that Lamar Bass, 17, was staying there.

Bass was wanted on charges of murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and going armed to the terror of the public in connection with a Dec. 26 double-shooting at Northgate Mall that ended with the death of one teenager, 16-year-old Lazarren "Qwan" McLean, and another teen injured.

"It's a great day for me," said McLean's uncle, Tim Worthy. "Because my nephew is gone and there's nothing I can do about it -- but you know, I'm glad you got that guy off the street."

Several police cars, as well as a hostage negotiation van, were at the scene. Police say Bass surrendered without incident shortly before 5 p.m.

"We had been told earlier that he had said he was not going to give up without a fight, so it was a relief he came out and nobody was injured," said Durham police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.

No one was injured in the situation, but police evacuated nearby residences as a precaution.

Bass was scheduled to make his first court appearance Wednesday morning.
Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all