Local News

Hope Mills Boy's Quick Thinking Saves Family From Fire

Posted December 22, 2004

— Three children in Hope Mills are safe, thanks to the quick thinking of one of them.

Officials said 13-year-old Josh Williams was at home with his two younger siblings, Justin and Cassie, when he started to smell smoke. He called his father at work and then called 911.

"I was panicking. I didn't know what to do," Josh Williams said.

"It was like smoke coming through the hallway. There was smoke right there past the hallway," Justin Williams said.

Josh Williams was able to get his brother and sister out before the mobile home caught on fire.

["It was] real scary. That's the first time it ever happened," said Cassie Williams.

Crews said the fire may have been caused by faulty wires from a heater.

Fortunately, no one was injured. The family are staying at the home of a relative.

Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all