RALEIGH, N.C. — Two men charged in a double fatal shooting at a football tailgating party face additional charges.
Timothy and Tony Johnson now face burglary and robbery charges in connection with a home invasion in Raleigh on Aug. 23.
Police say the home invasion occurred on Mariner Circle on Aug. 23. According to arrest reports, the Johnson brothers, along with three other men, busted through the door, held the victims at gunpoint, handcuffed them and duct-taped them while they stole drugs, guns and money out of the home.
Timothy and Tony Johnson have already been indicted in connection with the shooting deaths of two men outside a North Carolina State football game earlier in September.
Prosecutors said Johnson brothers will be tried on the home invasion charges first, then they will go after them on murder charges. The district attorney's office said a conviction in the home invasion case will establish a violent pattern of behavior and that some of the evidence in that case could end up being used in the murder trial.
Attorney Joe Cheshire, who represents one of the Johnson brothers, said while the new charges are a concern, he believes the prosecution's strategy reveals a lack of confidence.
"I think it shows they may be a little worried in the weakness of their case when it comes to the murder case," he said.
Christopher Edge, 22, of Fayetteville and Nathan Archer, 24, of Raleigh, were also charged Wednesday in the home invasion case. Another man, Justin McCarty, was arrested last week.