Local News

Customers Concerned After Fire Damages Fayetteville Dry Cleaners

Posted March 9, 2004

— An overnight fire seriously damaged a Fayetteville business.

Crews responded around 2 a.m. at Koretizing Dry Cleaners on Gillespie Street. The fire department believes a faulty overhead light is to blame.

The owner said he has insurance, but he said all he can do is offer apologies to the customers.

"I hope they understand that it's a difficult time right now," he said.

The dry cleaners also has sentimental value in Fayetteville.

"It was the first fast-service dry cleaning there was in this part of the world," building owner Denny Shaffer said. "I care a lot about this building and I'm glad that it did not burn down."

Most of the clothing inside was destroyed. Damage is estimated between $150,000 to $200,000.

The business is used as a transfer station, which means clothes are dropped off before they are taken somewhere else to be dry cleaned. Customers who want to know if their clothes were damaged in the fire are asked to contact another branch of Koretizing Dry Cleaners.

Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all