Suspect Involved In Carjackings, Assault On Officer Plans To Represent Himself
Posted January 17, 2002
RALEIGH, N.C. — The man arrested in Tuesday's high-speed car chase said he plans to represent himself when his case comes to trial.
Jevon Ward, 23, was arrested Tuesday after an attack on a Cary police officer, two carjackings and a car chase that led authorities through Wake County.
Ward said it all started when he went to his sister's mobile home to pick up some clothes, but his sister called the police. When police arrived, he attacked a police officer and took his gun.
"He kept putting his hands on me and kept standing in my way," he said. "I regret everything. I took like a minute, 60 seconds, to throw away my entire life."
Ward made his first court appearance Wednesday and told the judge that he would give up his right to a court-appointed attorney. He said he plans to defend himself when the case goes to trial.
Ward told the judge that either way, "They are going to burn me."
Ward said he did what he did on Tuesday because he felt trapped.
"I felt that it was just too late to turn back. As soon as I touched that man's gun, I saw my life over right there," he said.
Ward faces 15 serious charges and up to 50 years in prison if convicted. Ward claims that he has thought about suicide since the incident happened. He also said that he had originally planned to get his life back together because he had already been to jail and did not want to go back.
Ward will next appear in court on Feb. 6.
The officer injured in the incident, Kevin Powell, is recovering, but he will not be back at work for several weeks. The police chief said Powell did the right thing in trying to handle a volatile situation.