Local News

Mother charged in son's overdose death

Posted July 21, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The mother of a Sampson County boy who died in April of a methadone overdose faces criminal charges in his death, authorities said.

Tina Maria Lynn, 37, of 1010 Timothy Road near Dunn, was arrested late Friday on charges of involuntary manslaughter and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She was being held Monday in the Sampson County Jail on a $200,000 bond.

Lynn's 12-year-old son, Caleb Wayne Bevil, died April 26 at WakeMed in Raleigh, three days after he was found unconscious in his home. An autopsy showed he had ingested a lethal dose of methadone and benzodiazepine.

Methadone is a painkiller that also is used to help heroin addicts break their drug addictions. Benzodiazepine is a class of anti-anxiety drugs.

Lynn's boyfriend, who lived with her and her four children, had a prescription for the drugs, authorities said.

The three surviving children have been in Department of Social Services custody since Caleb's death.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Tarheel born Jul 21, 2008

    Let's make it a party and charge the boyfriend, too. After all, the drugs were HIS and he has to be responsible to keep away from everyone.

  • cbfx3 Jul 21, 2008

    Methadone is widely prescribed these days as a run of the mill painkiller... it has actually killed as many people in NC over the past 2 years as cocaine. It is HIGHLY addictive and withdrawal is worse than just about anything including herion. Money train for the doctors is what it is

  • ladyblue Jul 21, 2008

    What is also a sin is the way doctors give this methadone treatment to patients and don't monitor them. I happen to know 3 people right now who goes to Raleigh regular to get this dope, yet they get no counseling to see the results. These three are addicted to the methadone and other pain killers. I think doctors need to be more cautious on how long they allow people to stay on this dope. One man I know has been going to Raleigh for 5 years faithfully getting meth........... Doctors should know it's not helping them............ I think this woman and man didn't even know where their head was let alone where they had their dope hid.........I guess the 12 year old thought he'd see what it was like to get stoned like his mom. Sad and pitiful to lose our children like this....

  • grenlyn1 Jul 21, 2008

    Why was Lyn's boyfriend not charged as well for failure to not properly put these meds out of a child's reach? It's like a loaded gun, the packaging tells you to keep it out of reach of children. So why isn't he liable as well? I mean the article clearly states it was his presciption medication.

  • LaLa-Land Jul 21, 2008

    What kind of mother would let a boyfriend move in with her and her children?? Especially a drug addict?? I must be too old-fashioned because I see something seriously wrong with that.

  • FragmentFour Jul 21, 2008

    After reading the story, and the note by jetset mentioning the boy being in foster care, I really, truly, hope that the boyfriend also gets charged. He wasn't legally responsible for the child, but he certainly was for his medications.

  • sweettee717 Jul 21, 2008

    I believe everyone needs to go back a little to realize that the boyfriend was NOT on Methadone from being hooked on heroin...he has cancer and used them for pain. I even commented then that parents, grandparents, ALL adults MUST KEEP THESE KIND OF MEDS LOCKED UP.

    I do believe the mom is the one that should be charged because it was in her home and she didn't make sure the boyfriend kept the stuff put up. It's all over the news now that kids are turning to prescription drugs because it's are either right there in their homes OR they can buy them anywhere on the streets.

  • teacher-mom Jul 21, 2008

    It is frightening that more children are dying from overdoses of prescription medication than from street drugs. Those meds have to "locked up". Those kids will take anything. They do not seem to see the danger. This certainly is sad.

  • c100 Jul 21, 2008

    I'm sorry, but since when is a 12 year old considered an adult and capable of making their own decisions? Part of the responsibilities of a parent is to keep your children safe. She made the decision to allow the boyfriend to move in so she is responsible for the pills being there.

  • Aruba Jul 21, 2008

    Stevesteve, I'm following you!

    Anyway methadone is a pain killer. My step-sister takes it for severe arthritis. She was not an addict.