Hoke schools lockdown lifted after search for robbery suspect
Posted May 14, 2012
Raeford, N.C. — A lockdown at two Hoke County schools has been lifted after a search for a robbery suspect, school system officials said.
East Hoke Middle and Scurlock Elementary schools were shut down Monday morning as a precaution, but authorities said they don't believe the suspect was ever on the school grounds.
Hoke County Sheriff Peterkin said a man robbed a woman of her purse during an open house at a home for sale Monday morning and then fled, the sheriff said. The man next assaulted a person at a different location, and deputies started chasing his vehicle. He stopped the vehicle and ran into some woods near the middle school at 4702 Fayetteville Road.
School system officials said authorities told them the man had been caught.