Fla. teen charged in online threat against Heritage High School
Posted February 5, 2015
Wake Forest, N.C. — A 14-year-old Florida boy accused of posting a threatening message on Twitter that prompted a lockdown of Heritage High School in Wake Forest has been charged in the case, authorities said Thursday.
The boy, who lives in Crystal Beach, Fla., was arrested Thursday afternoon at his high school in Palm Harbor, according to a release from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged as a juvenile with written threats to kill or do bodily injury; electronic communication.
Heritage High School, along with nearby Heritage middle and elementary schools, were locked down for 90 minutes Wednesday morning after officials found the tweet, which was sent directly to the Wake County Public Schools System’s Twitter account. The message read: “I’m shooting up Heritage.”
Investigators traced the tweet to Florida and spoke with the boy’s mother. The lockdown was lifted after authorities determined no students were in danger.
School officials said Thursday the teen attended Heritage Middle School last year.