Local News

Fire damages UNC frat house

Posted April 11, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Chapel Hill firefighters responded to a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill fraternity house after a bed there caught fire on Monday. 

Chapel Hill Deputy Chief Fire Marshal Matt Lawrence said a small personal electric fan fell onto the bed, heated and ignited the fire at the Sigma Chi house, located at 102 Big Fraternity Court. 

The building's sprinkler system extinguished the fire. 

There were no injuries. 

Due to electrical concerns, the power to the building was cut off until clean up can take place, Lawrence said. The fire caused about $15,000 in damage. 

All residents of the house are displaced. 

6 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • carrboroyouth Apr 12, 2011

    jpt - I was a little kid in Chapel Hill when that fire happened and I can still see the burned house with black ash around the broken windows. Even as I kid I remember feeling sad about the students who died.

    It is so good to hear that the sprinkler systems worked in this case.

  • rescuesurvey Apr 12, 2011

    ProzacDispenser does have a good point, it should have a tip switch to have it shut itself off if it tipped over.

  • jpt Apr 12, 2011

    So glad for the fire sprinklers! I was at UNC in the 90's when some of our best and brightest perished. The huge expense the fraternity system went through to put in sprinklers sure paid off here!

  • marxismandmartinis Apr 12, 2011

    Dare107- what an ignorant post. People like you are just the same as those who commit hate crimes. Intolerance and ignorance are no excuse. Also, if that was an attempt at a joke, please refrain from trying to show such a poor sense of humor.

  • LuvLivingInCary Apr 12, 2011

    sounds like the maker of the fan should be held accountable. should have had a shut off mechanizm.

  • pinball wizard Apr 11, 2011

    The building's sprinkler system extinguished the fire.

    I am glad another tragedy was avoided.