Local News

Fayetteville police: Man surrenders after five-hour standoff

Posted January 9, 2013

— Fayetteville police took a man into custody early Wednesday following a five-hour standoff that forced the evacuation of several homes near the 5900 block of Dalton Road in west Fayetteville. 

Officers responding to a domestic call about 12:30 a.m. learned that the man's wife had fled the home and that the man was barricaded inside armed with what police believed was a rifle. 

Members of the city's Emergency Response Team, negotiators and the man's wife worked for nearly five hours before the man turned himself in about 5:15 a.m. 

No shots were fired, and no injuries were reported, police said. The man, whose name has not been released, was being taken to a local hospital for evaluation. 

Fayeteville police allowed families that had been evacuated back into their homes following the standoff.

No other information was immediately available.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • hollylama Jan 9, 2013

    Houses in Waters Edge have such a distinct look.

  • piene2HasNoClue Jan 9, 2013

    @kermit60, the man was armed with a gun, his wife fled to get away from him, and he isn't complying with police at a standoff, and your suggestion is to swing by the next day to see if he feels better? Is that the response you would want if you lived with or next door to this?

  • Terkel Jan 9, 2013

    Very tired of shootings, standoffs, murder-suicides, and DV. Give the next barricade drama queen five minutes to think it over, then take him out so he can't hurt anyone. It'd be kinder than what I'd want to do to him if I'd had to get up in the middle of the night like all the neighbors did.

  • kermit60 Jan 9, 2013

    If the wife had already left the home, what was the big need for the cops to enter this guys house? Understandable if she was inside and a possible hostage but he was alone. Probably should have left him alone and came back the next day.