Local News

Fayetteville man surrenders following police standoff

Posted May 24, 2010
Updated May 25, 2010

— A police standoff in Fayetteville that led to the evacuations of several homes ended peacefully Monday evening.

At about 4:55 p.m., officers responded to 2527 McNeill Circle in reference to a man threatening others with a butcher knife.

Once police arrived, the suspect, later identified as Jerry Garvin, retreated back into his home and refused to come out, police said.

Due to earlier threats of violence, responding officers evacuated a few homes in the area and the police watch commander attempted to make contact with Garvin.

About an hour later, Garvin surrendered and was taken into custody without incident, police said. He was the only person found inside the home.

Garvin was transported to Cape Fear Valley Hospital for a psychological evaluation.

Garvin, who was not charged with a crime, disputed the police account, saying he did not have a knife and did not refuse to come out.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • loserly May 28, 2010

    It took an accumulation of many reports before the police responded. These were reports of behavior that was equally if not more disturbing by this individual, most involving guns. You may find this excessive, and it's a shame that you did not receive a better response, but for those directly affected by behavior like this, it felt like the system was finally working.

  • ghimmy51 May 25, 2010

    BTW my wife and I had to stop taking evening walks after a mugging in front of the Fayetteville Law Enforcement Center.

  • ghimmy51 May 25, 2010

    Any of you ever seen the Fayetteville Police Dept. respond to something like this? I have. It looks like a scene from a movie with every police car in the world there and an officer behind every bush. There are megaphones, tear gas, bullet proof vests and negotiators. However, the one time I called them after a guy broke into a neighbors' car and actually SHOT at me it took 41 minutes for ONE car to arrive ... with the police station ONE mile away. They're some real heroes, they are.