Local News

Extra security enforced at Pinecrest football game Friday

Posted November 4
Updated November 5

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A week after the drive-by shooting of a Southern Pines girls, Pinecrest High School had extra security on hand Friday for the regular season home finale against Hoke County, according to Moore County Schools.

Only the main entrance was open at the game, and spectators had to pass through metal detectors. Bags were not allowed into the stadium.

“We want everyone to be safe, and we want to prevent anything from happening, so I think it’s a good idea to have them,” football fan Faye Riggsbee said.

Charles Mcleod was among those in line to go through security ahead of game.

“I think that should be all the time,” Mcleod said. “Everybody is carrying guns. It’s dangerous.”

There have been two shootings in Southern Pines over the last week.

The first shooting happened last Friday and left a 12-year-old girl dead. Montice Tyree McManus, 16, of Southern Pines, was arrested and charged with murder and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. Malik Rashad Crawford, 20, of Aberdeen, was arrested and charged with accessory after the fact of murder.

A second shooting occurred on Wednesday evening at approximately 7:30 p.m., hospitalizing one man.

"In light of the events over this past week, there will be extra security precautions in place at the game that will serve to provide a sense of comfort and security for our students and patrons," Moore County Schools said in a release on Thursday evening.

“Even in a small town like this, it’s getting bad,” Mcleod said.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all