Hopscotch Music Festival starts Thursday, which means downtown Raleigh is gearing up for more than 150 shows in three days.
To make this overwhelming number of shows more manageable, we got our resident music expert, WRAL photojournalist Greg Hutchinson, to give us his picks for each day.
Here are Hutch's selections for the shows not to miss on Thursday night:
- Airstrip at The Berkeley Cafe
- Gross Ghost at The Berkeley Cafe
- Some Army at Deep South the Bar
- J Roddy Walston and the Business at Tir na nOg
- Free Electric State at Kings Barcade
- Thee Oh Sees at The Contemporary Art Museum
- Screaming Females at Lincoln Theatre
- Lizzy Ross Band at Deep South the Bar
- Deerhoof at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium
- Liars at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium
Greg featured Gross Ghost on his blog in July, along with many other bands.
And don't forget: there's even more music to be heard and fun to be had during the day parties! They generally run from noon - 5:00 p.m. Airstrip is playing at a day party, as well as Gross Ghost, who is playing one day party on Friday and one on Saturday, in addition to their night shows.