Local News

Durham police searching for 2-year-old boy

Posted August 4, 2013

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Police are asking for the public's help to find a 2-year-old boy last seen at a bus terminal in downtown Durham Saturday afternoon.

Zy'ion D’youate McCallum, who weighs about 26 pounds, was wearing a black T-shirt, yellow shorts and brown sandals and was last seen with a woman whose name might be either Jazmine Johnson or Jazmine Jackson.

Investigators believe she might be around 23 years old, but they provided no other identifying information about her.

"We are concerned about the child’s welfare, because we are not sure who has him or where he may be at this time," investigators said in a news release Sunday evening. "We want to make certain he is safe."

Zy'ion's mother, Latara Robinson, said the boy was with his 15-year-old aunt on Saturday and that the two were supposed to be going to a park.

Instead, according to Robinson, the aunt said she took the boy to a terminal of the Durham Area Transit Authority in downtown and, for some reason, left him with someone named Jazmine.

"I am not sure who this girl is," Robinson said.

"I just have a lot going through my mind right now. I really don't know what to say. I just want to see my son," Robinson added. "I just need help finding my son, and I want him safe home with me."

Investigators are interviewing witnesses, including the 15-year-old aunt, Robinson said.

Police said Sunday night that the case does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert, although it's unclear why. Calls to the North Carolina Center for Missing Persons, the only state agency that can activate the alert, were not immediately returned.

They received the missing persons report around noon on Sunday. Also unclear is why police weren't notified sooner, but Robinson said she and her mother had been out looking for Zy'ion.

Anyone with information that could help authorities should call 911.

Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases, and callers never have to identify themselves.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Disabled Vet Aug 6, 2013

    Must be a really slow news day if this story is still here.

  • Cock a doodle doo Aug 5, 2013

    You'd think WRAL would update their site. It's one thing to archive a story and keep it, but take it off the front page!

  • DontVote4LiarsCheatsOrThieves Aug 5, 2013

    The child is safe.

    The story is still here because it is part of the archives.

  • Disabled Vet Aug 5, 2013

    Isn't this the same 2 year old that WRAL reported earlier that was safely returned to his mother? If so, then why is this story still here?

  • OzzzMan Aug 5, 2013

    I think the family needs to pay all of the expense on this. I am glad he was found safe, but come on, nowhere your children are!

  • Bartmeister Aug 5, 2013

    I think this is just leftovers from yesterday.

  • Pulling for the Tarheels Aug 5, 2013

    Yes, it's now been 8 hours since this news channel reported the child found..... wonder how much longer they will keep this story. If it's to stay on the webpage - they could at least edit it!

  • Journey985 Aug 5, 2013

    Umm, didn't you guys post a story saying he was found? So which story is correct?

  • Titus Pullo Aug 5, 2013

    Old news

  • Scubagirl Aug 5, 2013

    you can take this story down now I think........or do you need filler for the website?