Cumberland County government offices will become smoke-free campuses beginning in January, officials said Friday.
A ban on smoking in all county buildings and vehicles, and within 25 feet of building entrances, has been in place since 1993. But the county Board of Commissioners revised the legislation in May to extend the ban to parking lots and anywhere on the grounds.
Officials said temporary signs will soon be posted at 15 sites to let employees and the public know about the change. The sites include:
- Department of Public Health, 1235 Ramsey St.
- Department of Social Services, 1225 Ramsey St.
- E. Newton Smith Center/Board of Elections, 227 Fountainhead Lane
- Historic Courthouse, 130 Gillespie St.
- Hope Mills WIC office, 2622 Hope Mills Road
- Spring Lake Family Resource Center, 103 Laketree Blvd., Spring Lake
- County Facility at 109 Bradford Ave.
- All eight branches of the Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center