Local News

Cigarette Ashes Spark Cary House Fire

Posted April 9, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Cigarette ashes that fell between cushions in a chair started a house fire early Wednesday, officials said.

The fire starred at about 1:30 a.m. at a house on Willowbrook Drive near Southeast Maynard Road.

Firefighters contained the flames to one room, and the homeowner got out safely. He spent the night at a hotel.

Officials estimate the fire caused between $10,000 and $15,000 in damage.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • MadBiker Apr 9, 2008

    Smoking is really becoming an expensive habit!

  • colliedave Apr 9, 2008

    And how much had he been drinking? And I am not talking about sweet tea, Long Island iced tea maybe.

  • Why Is My Slim Physique Envied Apr 9, 2008

    The insurance will pay for it. Hopefully he had some, because if he doesn't own the home, it's not mandatory. If he is renting and the homeowner had insurance it only covers the structure, not the tenants belongings.

  • cateye Apr 9, 2008

    Keep on smoking, okay?

  • onedayatatime Apr 9, 2008

    Ouch!! 10-15K just for being careless. And because he admitted to the carelessness I'm sure the insurance won't cover any of it.

  • bbad238 Apr 9, 2008

    That's a good sign to stop smoking! Bet he's loving those cigarettes now

  • whatelseisnew Apr 9, 2008

    Hey your house caught afire. Of course you need a cigarette.

  • wralfan Apr 9, 2008

    Bet they can't wait to light up another one.