Local News

Authorities: Smoking Caused Fire at Chapel Hill Apartments

Posted September 1, 2007
Updated September 2, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Authorities said careless smoking caused a fire at a Chapel Hill apartment complex on Saturday afternoon.

A dropped cigarette sparked the fire in the pine straw and shrubs outside a building at the Bowling Wood Apartments on 500 Umstead Drive.

The fire broke out around 3:30 p.m. and quickly spread to the roof of the building, officials said.

Four people were displaced from several apartments that sustained upwards of $50,000 worth of damage, officials said.

No one was injured, authorities said.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all