Local News

RDU employee reported missing after taking break at work

Posted June 27
Updated June 28

— Officials are searching Tuesday for a 24-year-old Raleigh-Durham International Airport employee who went missing after taking a break at work on Monday.

Allison Cope was reported missing on Monday after she clocked out for a break from her job at the Terminal 2 Starbucks. Cope took a scheduled break at 3 p.m. but did not return. She was reported missing around 7 p.m.

Family members said Cope's phone and bag were found at the airport, but her car keys and debit card were missing from her bag.

She was seen going down the escalator and leaving Terminal 2 with just keys in her hand, presumably to run to her car for a minute, according to friends.

Friends said she would have never left the airport during a short break, especially without her phone and other belongings.

Cope drives a silver 2015 Ford Fusion with North Carolina license plate number EHA 2771. The car has a sticker for the Change of Heart Pit Bull Rescue.

The car is missing, and her security badge was used to exit the parking lot around 3:10 p.m.

RDU released a statement asking for the public's help in finding Cope, releasing a photo of the sticker from Cope's vehicle. The image is shown on a different car.

Rear window wrap on Allison Cope's car

Cope is a white female with blonde hair and blue eyes. Police said she is 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighs 180 pounds.

RDU employee reported missing after taking break at work

Police said Cope was last seen wearing a black HMS Host-branded Starbucks polo shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers.

Friends believe she was running to her car in the employee lot to get something on her break, and something happened to her.

"She's like sunshine," Cope's friend Sarah Kosinksi said. "Everybody sees her, she's happy, she smiles, she lights up a room. She's the most positive person I've ever met."

"She's loving, caring, she's always there for everyone," Cope's friend Justin Farrell said.

Anyone with information about Cope should contact RDU Police at (919) 840-7510 or call 911.

Allison Cope

"If somebody has her, we just want to get this out because if somebody has her, we want to make sure she's okay," Farrell said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation, which is routine in this kind of disappearance, according to a FBI spokesperson.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Daniel Jones Jun 28, 1:18 p.m.
    user avatar

    View quoted thread

    If the FBI is involved that means there is some compelling evidence of a crime, which they are not releasing for obvious reasons. Local police departments don't call the FBI for assistance on all missing persons cases.

  • Bobby Caudle Jun 28, 12:54 p.m.
    user avatar


  • Kelly Thornburg Jun 28, 12:30 p.m.
    user avatar

    What "overwhelming" evidence? She did something out of character? That is "overwhelming evidence" of something criminal?

  • Daniel Jones Jun 28, 11:54 a.m.
    user avatar

    View quoted thread

    Probably because there is OVERWHELMING evidence that something criminal has occurred. Most missing persons cases don't have evidence of criminality.

  • Casey Savelli Jun 28, 11:48 a.m.
    user avatar

    View quoted thread

    There actually are cameras and I believe on another website it states that the camera showed her car leaving but that it was too dark inside the car (i would assume lighting wasn't great) to see who was driving or if there was more than one person in the car.

  • Jewel Lee Jun 28, 11:42 a.m.
    user avatar

    Why would there NOT be cameras in the RDU employee parking deck? This sickens me! Im sure they'll hurry to install some now, too late! And the perimeters leaving or around the airport? I cant believe that there is Nothing to see if this girl left alone. This story saddens me deeply. If she met ill fate in the parking deck, I pray that she makes it home alive and well.

  • Nicolle Leney Jun 28, 11:32 a.m.
    user avatar

    View quoted thread

    I think this is an unusual situation. Most missing people don't leave in the middle of a work shift. Also, the rescue is staying on things. She's been working with the rescue for 10 years. They've said she would just never take off. I think they were the ones that got things on the news to begin with.

    Anyone leaving in the middle of a shift voluntarily like this (and still being missing days later) is not very likely. I'm worried this is not going to end well. I really hope I'm wrong.

  • Kelly Thornburg Jun 28, 8:55 a.m.
    user avatar

    I agree with the well wishes and hopes she is found safe. What makes me scratch my head is why this has been the top story on every local news site since yesterday afternoon, when she has been missing less than 48 hours. Plenty of other local missing folks, yet we never seem to hear about them until it has been 5 days, 10 days, a month, etc.

  • Barbara Horton Jun 27, 4:09 p.m.
    user avatar

    I hope she is found safe soon!

  • Linda Tally Jun 27, 1:31 p.m.
    user avatar

    I second Ms Ross' comment - deepest sympathies and prayerful hope for the family and the girl both.