Local News

Woman dies in Granville house fire

Posted February 7, 2011 3:02 p.m. EST
Updated February 7, 2011 6:57 p.m. EST

— One woman was killed late Sunday in a house fire in Stem, authorities said Monday.

Terresa Shade, 62, died after the home at 1614 Tally Ho Road caught fire after 11 p.m. Sunday, authorities said.

The fire appears to have started on the stove, authorities said.

A neighbor said her son, Michael Walls, kicked in the door of the house but was unable to save Shade.

"To know that it happened so close to home and we didn't even notice it at first, it's still just a horrific thought knowing that somebody died that didn't need to," Walls said.

Firefighters from Stem, Creedmoor and the Providence Fire Department battled the fire. The Granville County Sheriff's Office and the State Bureau of Investigation also were investigating the fire.