Weather

White Christmas? No, but probably a cold, wet one

Posted December 14, 2020 5:10 a.m. EST
Updated December 19, 2020 9:15 p.m. EST

— The Triangle, historically, has a 2 percent chance of having a white Christmas. This year will be part of the other 98 percent.

Temperatures for much of the coming week will be in the mid- to upper 50s, which doesn't lend itself to snow. Instead, WRAL meteorologist Peta Sheerwood said, rain will soak central North Carolina on Christmas Eve.

Chances for a white Christmas

"We have fairly warm temperatures in place. What we need is the cold air to move in and to get going with the moisture, and we just don't have that set-up in place," Sheerwood said.

More immediately, Saturday was cold but sunny, with highs topping out in the upper 40s before the temperature drops into the mid-30s overnight.

"We're into that time of the year, once we get into the overnight hours, those temperatures drop quickly," Sheerwood said.

A front crosses the state on Sunday, bringing rain, with highs in the mid-40s. Rain remains in the forecast on Monday – th efirst day of winter – as a low-pressure system moves up from the south.

Sunday the greatest chance of rain will be in the morning.

Milder weather then moves in, with highs in the mid- to upper 50s through Thursday, when the front bringing rain moves through.

Sheerwood said rain could be heavy at times through the evening, and cold air moves in from the north after the rain moves out.

"Get ready for it – it is going to get cold again," she said.

Current Temperatures, DMA

Temperatures on Christmas will be only in the mid-30s after approaching 60 on Christmas Eve.

Great Conjunction

On Monday, don't forget to look up in the sky. Saturn will be right next to Jupiter in the sky and appear like one large star.

"This is historic because it hasn't been visible since 1226," WRAL meteorologist Mike Maze said.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.