Unemployment, federal aid available for flooded N.C. counties
The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved aid Tuesday for victims of recent flooding in Brunswick, Jones, Pender and Pitt counties, the governor's office announced.Posted — Updated
Heavy rains at the start of the month caused flooding that was worse than when Hurricane Floyd hit eastern North Carolina 11 years ago.
So far, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has given more than $1.85 million in grants to those recovering from the floods.
More than 1,800 North Carolinians have registered for aid, and FEMA agents have inspected more than 1,000 homes.
Assistance available to business owners, homeowners and renters includes grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs.
Disaster unemployment assistance is also being offered to workers who became unemployed or small business owners who lost income as a direct result of the flooding.
North Carolina Employment Security Commission officials said there is no waiting period to file for benefits. Those eligible can receive benefits dating back to Oct. 3.
The ESC laid out the following criteria to receive disaster unemployment assistance:
- individuals who are unemployed due to the flooding and do not qualify for regular unemployment
- self-employed workers and small business owners who lost income due to the flooding
- individuals prevented from working by an injury due to the flooding
- individuals who became the breadwinner due to the flooding-related death or injury of the former major supplier of household income
- individuals unable to commute to work due to the flooding or prevented from working due to the flooding
The federal aid and unemployment benefits are available to residents of 10 counties covered by a federal emergency disaster declaration: Beaufort, Bertie, Brunswick, Craven, Hertford, Jones, Onslow, Pender, Pitt and Tyrrell.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.