High winds knock down trees

The Memorial Day weekend is turning out to be stormy with powerful winds toppling trees across the Triangle.

Posted Updated

RALEIGH, N.C. — The Memorial Day weekend is turning out to be stormy with powerful winds toppling trees across the Triangle.

“Every which way you look; it is debris and damage and mega trees down,” Durham homeowner Dan Milam said.

Milam spent Saturday clearing his yard, at 4900 American Drive, of fallen trees after Friday's stormy weather.

The Furniture Spot, at 5301 Capital Blvd. in Raleigh, was also in clean up mode after heavy rain caused the roof to leak, flooding the showroom.

“Oh, it is pretty bad. About 20 percent of my showroom is gone," said Jason Yu, co-owner of The Furniture Spot. “All you can do is just look and be shocked."

Yu hired roofers Saturday to try and repair the damage. Daniel Terry, owner of Roof All, said high winds have damaged dozens of structures in Raleigh.

“We have been really busy. We have taken in probably about 30 calls," Terry said. “All I can do is ... try to work really hard and just make it through it."

Flash flooding also displaced four families at 320 Hill St. in Raleigh. The Red Cross is helping the families with shelter.

The Red Cross offers the following advice for those affected by thunderstorms:

  • Avoid driving on flooded roads.
  • Continue listening to local radio or television stations or a NOAA Weather Radio for updated information and instructions. If you are away from home, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
  • Before entering your home, look outside for loose power lines, damaged gas lines, foundation cracks or other damages.
  • If you smell natural or propane gas or hear a hissing noise, leave immediately and call the fire department.
  • If power lines are down outside your home, do not step in puddles or standing water.
  • Use battery-powered lanterns or flashlights when examining buildings. Avoid using candles. If you must use candles take extreme care. Keep candles away from any combustible materials. Place candles out of reach of children or pets. Extinguish all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Candles lit and left unattended lead to a large number of single family fires and fire deaths.
  • Keep children and pets away from hazardous sites and floodwater.

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.