Heavy rain causes flooding

Posted September 22, 2009 8:08 a.m. EDT
Updated September 23, 2009 12:18 a.m. EDT

— Rain continued to douse the Triangle and surrounding areas Tuesday evening with several counties under flood advisories.

"There is a circulation that is pumping moisture to parts of Wake, Harnett and Chatham counties, and as a result there have been some prolific rainfall amounts," WRAL Meteorologist Greg Fishel said.

High water was reported at the intersections of Durham and New Light roads, and Piney Grove Wilbon and Avent Ferry roads in Wake County. The sheriff’s office reported about 12 inches of water on the roadway.

High water was also reported along N.C. Highway 50 and Benson Road, near Angier. Motorists were urged to avoid problem areas if possible.

Showers began during the morning hours.

Tuesday was mostly cloudy and highs reached into the lower 80s. Isolated thunderstorms are expected to diminish by midnight, WRAL Meteorologist Mike Maze said.

Wednesday will be cloudy with more showers possible. Highs will creep up to the mid 80s.

"We should see some showers develop with the heating of the day," Maze said.

The rest of the workweek will be partly sunny and warm with a slight chance of showers.

Flooding causes road closures in western N.C.

Dozens of roads remained closed in western North Carolina because of flooding caused by six straight days of rain.

The National Weather Service says a flash flood watch in the area expired at 6 a.m. Tuesday.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported that some evacuations were still in effect in Transylvania County. A shelter was set up at the Brevard recreation center.

Several small landslides also were reported, including U.S. 276 near Sliding Rock and Connestee.

Duke Energy reported scattered power outages Tuesday, with Macon County reporting 267 customers without service.

Officials say the flooding is the worst since the remnants of hurricanes Frances and Ivan came through in 2004.

One Edneyville farmer said nearly one third of his 715 acres of corn were under several feet of water Monday.