Icy roads cause wrecks in Wilson
Icy roads led to more than a dozen wrecks before sunrise Tuesday in Wilson, with at least one shutting down part of Interstate 95 in the area for nearly three hours.Posted — Updated
Road crews were out Monday evening preparing roads for icy conditions as melted snow refroze overnight.
The Highway Patrol urges motorists to use caution when driving on wet and slick roads and to be aware of black ice, which looks like wet spots. Other tips include:
- Clear windows and mirrors.
- Reduce speed to be able to better control your vehicle if you begin slide.
- Leave plenty of room between your vehicle and others.
- Approach bridges and overpasses with extreme caution, and do not apply brakes while on them.
- If you begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Applying brakes will cause further loss of control.
- Completely stop or yield the right-of-way at intersections where traffic lights are out. Treat them as a four-way stop.
- Carry a cell phone. You can call the Highway Patrol statewide by dialing *HP (*47) or call the local county emergency center by dialing 911.