WRAL WeatherCenter Blog

Mr. Moss, I'm 25 years old and I love storms. I just can't describe it. I want to see one evreyday. The problem is after I got out of the Air Force I tried going back to school but quickly realized that college is not right for me right now. Are there any other ways to get into the field?

Posted November 19, 2008 10:00 a.m. EST

MIKE MOSS SAYS:        Joe,      I would never say never, but these days getting into the field as a meteorologist most often requires at least some kind of a college degree, generally in meteorology or atmospheric sciences. There may be some ways to become involved with the field such as community college training in electronics repair and maintenance, for example, and then applying for positions in the NWS or at government laboratories or university research departments as a technnician installing, repairing or maintaining sensor and communications systems used in operational meteorology or field experiments. Another option, depending on whether you'd have any interest in re-joining the military, would be to re-enter the Air Force and request cross-training from your former AFSC to weather, which wouldn't require a degree. Similarly, you could consider a service switch to the Navy or Marine Corps (Army weather services are provided by the affiliated Air Force units) and request a weather-related specialty. Best of luck to you whichever approach you choose!