Recently, I have been seeing the term Areal Flooding. Can you please tell me what that means?

Posted Updated

Jay Estes

MIKE MOSS SAYS:       Jay,    The National Weather Service issues a few different kinds of flood warnings and advisories. The ones that apply to a generalized area, outlined in the warning or advisory statement, are called "areal," while there is also a warning type that applies to specific gage locations along a river - these are called "point" flood warnings.

The third type of flood warning, unique in the expected rapidity of its effects, is the flash flood warning, issued when very heavy rain or a dam or levee failure or a major stream blockage due to ice or debris are expected to cause a rapid and potentially life-threatening rise in water levels.



Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.