February got off to a good start with 0.83” of rain on Friday. Now if we could only get that twice a week for a few months, we ccould put a dent in the drought. Amounts varied, with 1” to 1.5” reported at a number of sites. The drought is still a very serious matter, and we all must do what we can to conserve. Type in the keyword “drought” on WRAL.COM to get some water conservation suggestions. We are all in this together folks, so let’s all do what we can to use less water.
Looks like Sir Walter Wally will see his shadow today, which means six more weeks of winter. Of course with temperatures forecast in the 60’s and 70s this week, this winter seems more like spring. Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow also. Actually most ground hogs do not come out of hibernation until March, or even later in the north.
Some useless Ground Hog Day trivia:
• Groundhogs have 22 teeth.
•Groundhogs hibernate one to a burrow, with at least two doorways.
• Males emerge earlier than females each spring.
• Groundhogs can lose 50 per cent of their body weight in hibernation. Their maximum size is 20 pounds.
• They can both swim and climb trees, and have a top speed of 9 mph.
• Groundhog Day was once celebrated by ancient Celts. It's halfway between the winter solstice and spring equinox.
• Farrah Fawcett, Tom Smothers, Graham Nash, James Joyce and Christie Brinkley were all born on Groundhog Day.