Warrants: Suspects offered details in Raleigh hotel shooting death
Posted February 15, 2012 2:25 p.m. EST
Updated February 15, 2012 3:13 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — Two men charged in a shooting death at a north Raleigh hotel last month told investigators about the crime, including where a gun and clothing were discarded after the crime, according to recently released search warrants.
Officers responded to the Studio Plus hotel, at 921 Wake Towne Drive, on the morning of Jan. 26 after the body of Stephen Curtis Hoyle, 24, was found by hotel staff.
A fired shell casing was lying on the hotel room floor when police arrived, warrants state.
Investigators zeroed in on a suspect, Noureddine Oumous, 21, of 1011 Gilby Road in Apex, who admitted to participating in the crime, warrants state. Oumous told investigators that William Michael Estes, 25, of 6304-C Linville Drive in Raleigh, was also involved.
Warrants state that William Estes admitted to throwing the gun used in the shooting into the land surrounding his apartment building and throwing away his clothes in a trash bin outside.
Authorities seized a cellphone, a spent projectile, a 9mm Luger shell casing, a live 9mm Luger round, car keys, cigarettes and cigarettes butts, a lighter, a video game controller and various items of clothing from the hotel room, which was reserved in Estes' name.
Oumous and Estes were both charged with murder. Estes' brother, Charles Estes, faces an accessory after the fact charge.
Investigators have not offered a possible motive for the crime, and it wasn't clear how or if the suspects and victim knew each other.