Education

Wake schools getting more students, not more funding

Posted February 16, 2011 1:31 p.m. EST
Updated January 23, 2019 2:43 p.m. EST

— Wake County commissioners met with school board members Wednesday and said they plan to give the school system $313.5 million in funding – the same amount the school system has received the past two years.

Some school board members said they consider that a cut since the school system will increase by more than 3,600 students in 2012, which means less money per pupil.

School board member Chris Malone said they should be happy with what the commissioners have offered.

"Considering the situation we’re in, I think we gotta be pleased with what we have and just hope to buckle down and find ways to save money so it doesn’t affect the classroom," he said.

Many other Wake County departments are facing 3 percent cuts, commissioners said.

"We know that it’s just a tight year, and the staff’s doing everything possible to check to see if there are other ways in which we might approach this. But, so far, we haven’t found anything," said commissioner Betty Lou Ward.