Wake County Student Treated for Staph Infection
Posted October 22, 2007 11:48 p.m. EDT
Updated October 23, 2007 10:51 a.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A Wake County high school student was being treated for MRSA, or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus.
School leaders said the Wakefield High School student was taking antibiotics to battle the infection.
MRSA is caused by staph bacteria and is resistant to some common antibiotics. It is spread by touching objects that contain the bacteria.
Health officials said the girl is practicing good hygiene and is not contagious.
The school system sent letters home to parents Monday explaining the incident.