Local News

Video shows chaos at Streets at Southpoint after sound mistaken for gunshot

There were no shots fired at The Streets at Southpoint Mall in Durham on Sunday afternoon, according to police.

Posted Updated

Aaron Thomas
, WRAL reporter
DURHAM, N.C. — There were no shots fired at The Streets at Southpoint Mall in Durham on Sunday afternoon, according to police.

Durham police said a large fight broke out in the mall's food court around 3 p.m. Multiple witnesses said a gun was displayed but not fired during the fight.

Instead, people likely heard a broomstick hitting a table during the fight, according to police.

"The noise might have come from a broomstick striking the top of a table and making a large bang," said Durham Police Captain Mark Morais.

Police said after the broom hit the table, people began fleeing the area, which resulted in chairs and tables being overturned.

"There is no evidence, both inside the mall or the avenue part of the mall, that there's been any gunfire," said Morais.

Four people were taken to a local hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

Two people were injured from the fight in the food court and two people were injured trying to get out of the mall.

No injuries were reported as a result of the gun, according to police.

Hassan McPherson, whose 17-year-old daughter works at the mall in Foot Locker, said she received a call from her daughter after Sunday's commotion.

"All I got was a call from the store saying that they are closing the mall down and she doesn't know what's going on and to pick her up," described McPherson.

McPherson said when she returned to the mall, there was a cluster of emergency vehicles in the parking lot and officers blocking each entrance.

McPherson was eventually able to make contact with her daughter inside. She said she'll be hugging her daughter a little tighter knowing that she's OK.

"I'm very grateful. I was a little worried because I was backed up into traffic," said McPherson. "I guess it just took a little patience. I'm glad my daughter is OK."

The mall was shutdown for several hours as police investigated. Police said the mall closed at 6 p.m, its normal closing time. Restaurants surrounding the mall remained open as usual.

The mall's shutdown also caused traffic delays along Fayetteville Road.

No charges or arrests have been made.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.