U.S. 401 to close between Fuquay-Varina and Garner next week
Posted January 25, 2021 1:11 p.m. EST
Updated January 25, 2021 1:58 p.m. EST
Fuquay-Varina, N.C. — Work to finish the Interstate 540 (Triangle Expressway Southeast Extension) project in southern Wake County will close U.S. Highway 401 between Fuquay-Varina and Garner next week.
Utility contractors have scheduled closures on U.S. 401 between between Ten Ten Road and Ransdell Road from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 31.
WRAL Brian Shrader estimates the detour, listed below, will add an additional five minutes to the trip. The detour routes will be as follows:
If traveling on U.S. 401 Southbound
- U.S. 401 South to Ten Ten Road (Turn right on Ten Ten Road)
- Ten Ten Road to Lake Wheeler Road (Turn left on Lake Wheeler Road)
- Lake Wheeler Road to Donny Brook Road (Turn Left on Donny Brook Road)
- Donny Brook Road to Ransdell Road (Turn right on Ransdell Road)
- Ransdell Road to U.S. 401 South (Turn right on US 401 South)
If traveling on U.S. 401 Northbound
- U.S. 401 North to Ransdell Road (Turn left on Randell Road)
- Ransdell Road to Donny Brook Road (Turn left on Donny Brook Road)
- Donny Brook Road to Lake Wheeler Road (Turn right on Lake Wheeler Road)
- Lake Wheeler Road to Ten Ten Road (Turn right on Ten Ten Road)
- Ten Ten Road to U.S. 401 North (Turn left on US 401 North)
The work will impact the section of I-540 that will eventually run just north of Wake Technical Community College's campus on U.S. 401. The North Carolina Department of Transportation estimates work on I-540 from N.C. Highway 55 in Holly Springs to Interstate 40 in Garner to be complete sometime in 2023.
Drivers can get updates on the NCDOT website or by calling 1-800-554-7849.