Triangle Transit expands weekend service, ups prices
Posted July 29, 2014 12:30 p.m. EDT
Updated July 29, 2014 6:10 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Triangle Transit will expand services for several routes in Durham, Orange and Wake counties in August, hoping to better serve thousands who rely on public transportation to get around the Triangle.
Beginning Aug. 18, four routes – Routes 100, 400, 700 and 800 – will extend Saturday evening services and add Sunday service.
David King, general manager of Triangle Transit, said the addition of Sunday service is brand new.
"This is a big deal, and frankly, it's overdue," he said.
A new Orange-Durham Express service will also provide commuters with rush-hour rides between Hillsborough and Durham.
The half-cent sales tax for transit that's been in place in Durham and Orange counties paid for the expanded service.
In Wake County, commissioners have asked County Manager Jim Hartmann to begin creating a new transit plan. A draft plan could be ready next spring.
King says Wake County's growth demands action.
"It's got to be an artful, hopefully wise, marriage of transit and roads to absorb that growth," King said.
Brittany Evans, who uses Triangle Transit services about five days a week, says she's looking forward to the latest expansion.
"It's really important, because I get more hours in my job, and I'll be able to work those days I couldn't before," she said.
Routes with expanded service or an altered schedule:
- Route 100: Eliminate service to District Drive park-and-ride lot; extend Saturday evening service; add Sunday service
- Route 311: Eliminate service on Development, Davis and Louis Stephens drives and N.C. Highway 54
- Route 400: Eliminate service to New Hope Commons; extend Saturday evening service; add Sunday service
- Route 700: Extend Saturday evening service; add Sunday service
- Route 800: Extend Saturday evening service; add Sunday service
- Chapel Hill-Raleigh Express (CRX): Schedule changes
- Durham-Raleigh Express (DRX): New park-and-ride and schedule changes
- Orange-Durham Express (ODX): New route serving Hillsborough and Durham
Triangle Transit is also raising fares in August. The cost of a regional cash fare will be $2.25, and a day pass will go from $4 to $4.50.
Express cash fares will be $3 in August, and express day pass fares will climb to $6. A full list of fare prices is on Triangle Transit's website.