Trial date set for Oxford teen accused of making bomb threats
Posted December 22, 2009 4:31 p.m. EST
Updated December 22, 2009 5:09 p.m. EST
HAMMOND, Ind. — A judge has set a March trial date in Indiana for an Oxford teen accused of making bomb threats via the Internet.
Ashton Lundeby, 16, is scheduled to stand trial in Indiana beginning March 2.
In a federal indictment, Ashton Lundeby, 16, is alleged to have allowed Web gamers to pay fees to listen to and observe police responses to bomb threats at Purdue University and other schools, including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Clemson University and Florida State University.
The indictment alleges that Lundeby, who went by the name Tyrone, and his co-conspirators would place calls to locations covered by Web cams and then broadcast the video live to as many as 300 subscribers.
FBI agents and local law enforcement arrested Lundeby at his home on March 5, and he has been detained in St. Joseph County's Juvenile Justice Center in Indiana since then.
The case had been sealed because Lundeby is a juvenile.
His mother, Annette Lundeby, maintains that he was at church the night of Feb. 15 when several threats were called into Purdue University.
She has acknowledged that her son made prank phone calls on the Internet and charged a fee but said that her son never did anything illegal, to her knowledge. She told the Henderson Dispatch Monday that the government has been trying to get her son to plead guilty.