Local News

Teen gets $265,000 bond after two-hour foot chase

Posted August 21, 2008 7:47 a.m. EDT
Updated August 21, 2008 10:42 a.m. EDT

— Authorities set bond at $265,000 for a teen who led them on a foot chase through a southern Wake County subdivision for nearly two hours Wednesday.

Michael Raymond Schumpelt, 16, was expected to appear in court at 2 p.m. Thursday.

Deputies charged him with assault with a deadly weapon on a government officer, larceny of a motor vehicle, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and two counts of felonious possession of stolen property.

He was also facing a breaking-and-entering charge that happened two weeks ago, authorities said.

Deputies got a report of someone driving erratically behind Poplar Springs Church before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison.

They caught up with Schumpelt on Old Stage Road, where he rammed a police car, then fled on foot, officials said. The red, Chevy Monte Carlo he was driving was a stolen car, officials said. Authorities found a weapon inside the car.

“The secretary came out and when she came out, the guy was just speeding out of the cemetery driveway and that's when he collided with the deputy's car and kept going along Old Stage Road,” Jackie Branch, a Poplar Springs Church member, said.

Sheriff's deputies, Garner police officers and highway patrol troopers established a perimeter around the Eagle Ridge golf community to track Schumpelt.

“One of the troopers spotted him. He went up a path, jumped out and ran,” Harrison said.

Deputies captured him in a wooded area of the subdivision just after 5 p.m.

“We used the 911 reverse, and we had some neighbors call us. We had a lot of help from the neighbors, too, and that made a big difference,” Harrison said.

“I see all these police cars with their lights on – this one pulling over here, that one pulling over there, that one zooming down the road,” Pat Anthony, an Eagle Ridge Golf Community resident, said.

Law enforcement officers helped teachers dismiss students from nearby Vance Elementary School at about 3:45 p.m. The after-school program at the school was being conducted with limited attendance, and the school was locked down during the search.